Roles and Functions of the Executive Mayor!!
The Executive Mayor is the political head of the institution and chairs the Mayoral Committee. He is head of the Mayoral Committee. His function and powers are outlined in Chapter 3 of the Local Government Municipal Structures Act of 1998.
Functions and Powers of Executive Mayors
An executive mayor is authorized to receive reports from committees of the municipal council and to forward these reports together with a recommendation to the council when the matter cannot be addressed by the executive mayor in terms of the executive mayor’s delegated powers.
- identify the needs of the municipality:
- review and evaluate those needs in order of priority:
- Recommend to the municipal council strategies, programs, and services to address priority needs through the integrated development plan, and the estimates of revenue and expenditure. Taking into account any applicable national and provincial development plans.
- Recommend or determine the best way. Including. Partnership and other approaches. To deliver those strategies: programmes and services to the maximum benefit of the community.
The Executive Mayor in performing the duties of office, must:
- Identify and develop criteria in terms of which progress in the implementation of the strategies. Programmes and services referred to in subsection (2) (c) can be evaluated. including key performance indicators which are specific to the municipality and common to local government in general:
- evaluate progress against the key performance indicators;
- review the performance of the municipality in order to improve:
(i) The economy, efficiency and effectiveness of the municipality;
(ii) The implementation of the municipality’s by-laws:
- monitor the management of the municipality’s administration in accordance with the directions of the municipal council:
- oversee the provision of services to communities in the municipality in a sustainable manner;
- perform such duties and exercise such powers as the council may delegate to the executive mayor in terms of the law
- Annually report on the involvement of communities and community organizations in the affairs of the municipality.
- Ensure that respect is given to public views and report on the effect of consultation on the decisions of the council.
The Executive Mayor must perform a ceremonial role as the municipal council may determine, report to the municipal council on all decisions taken by the Executive Mayor.
The units in mayor’s office are:
- Youth development
- Special programmes
- HIV & AIDS units
- People with disability